Right now everyone is saying what a horrible year 2016 is and how many awful things happened. And yes, there have been a lot of events and deaths and political events that make it seem like 2016 is a cursed year. But it’s not all bad. And for me it was not a horrible year, not in many ways. Today I want to concentrate on positive things because I feel like we all need some more positivity in our lives right now.
So, what was good about 2016?
- Fewer people die of illnesses and fewer children die of malnutrition every year. New cures for diseases that were untreatable for a long time are developed every year and people are getting more and better treatment for mental illnesses. Slowly but steadily we are fighting the stigma around (mental) illnesses!
- Many many thousands of people help refugees around the world. They offer so much of their time and strength and often money to help people that need it.
- We got amazing movies like Fantastic Beasts or Rogue One and so many amazing books and videos and TV shows and music and memes!
- Movies and TV-Shows (like Rogue One and Luke Cage and Skam) become more diverse every single year and that makes me so happy. LGBTQ and POC and mentally ill people and so on are included more and more often! There is still a long way to go but we came so far already.
- People are giving so much money to charity?? it’s incredible! Just look at this year’s Project For Awesome which raised over 2 Million USD! Wow!
- We use renewable energies more and more!
- I heard that suicide rates are actually going down which is incredible
- Leonardo DiCaprio finally got an Oscar, remember?
- The Ozone layer is reparing itself
- WILD PANDAS ARE NO LONGER ENDANGERED!
There are so many other things that have happened this year. We don’t need to be sad and hopeless when we think about 2016. Sure, let’s not forget the people we lost and the challenges we will have to face because of some things that have happened this year. But we can go on and face what’s coming, I’m sure. And if we have to take it day by day or hour by hour or minute by minute, then so be it.
And for me personally?
- I had great grades in school and even learnt some useful stuff!
- I met a lot of new amazing people, at work or online and some of them have become great friends.
- I was in my first relationship. Sure, it ended, but it ended okay.
- I met my best friend who lives quite far away several times this year! And I could meet up with another internet friend of mine more often than before!
- I went to HobbitCon in Bonn which was amazing and I spent one of the best weekends of my life there.
- I went to Gay Pride in Munich again and loved it even more than last year.
- I went to seven incredible concerts and I’m so grateful I got to see all those people I love live.
- I had some lovely day trips in August!
- I got my cat, my darling!
- I made new friends on Twitter and got to know some friends way more than I knew them by the end of last year.
- I was happier this year than in 2015 and I grew more confident and more happy with my body.
- And there is more but I don’t want this to go on forever
I hope you, whoever you are, had an okay 2016. And if it was shit? Well, it can only go up, right? So let’s see what 2017 brings and let’s try not to worry too much about it.
See you soon ❤